How We Make It Ep.1: Scotchlite Application to Extruded Panels
Watch Ep.1 of the "How We Make It" series:
In this series, Tanya Roberts, sales manager at Interstate SignWays, gives you a behind the scenes look into how we manufacture highway guide signs, warning signs, and regulatory signs. Episode 1 features our extruded-panel laminate/sheeting applicator. Watch the series to see other processes in our plant.
What is an extruded-panel laminate/sheeting applicator?
This is a key piece of equipment we use to provide 3M warranted extruded panel signs.
3M reflective sheeting and over-laminates are applied to the panels using this piece of equipment. Our team of sign-fabrication professionals take the in-house punched and chemically treated panels and run them through the laminate/sheeting applicator. This applicator also uses heat to ensure the highest level of sheeting adhesion. This investment in the right equipment and processes ensures that the sheeting on DOT signs never peels away from the extruded panels.
How does it work?
- The panels are maneuvered to the applicator assembly line.
- The panel is slowly fed into the applicator.
- The roll of 3M reflective sheeting (3M Diamond Grade DG3 Reflective Sheeting 4097 featured in images) is applied to the front of the panel to start the lamination/sheeting application process.
- As the panels go through the applicator, air blowers blow heated air onto the sheeting to ensure ideal adhesion.
- The panels are stacked and ready for the next process, assembly.